Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hoot!

Okay, I've now been completely distracted from panda hats. While in a yarn shop the other day, my friend and I saw a hat like this although in different colours.

So I had to try it. Except that I'm on a yarn diet, so I used some Patons Merino wool from my stash.

Yesterday morning I cast on:
I didn't think to take a picture until I was a *few* rows in.

Aren't my new addi turbos great?










Once I had knitted 6 inches, I transferred to my dpns. I do like my dpns, but I think straight needles would have been easier. And I knitted as if I was doing a 3 needle bind off to join the two layers together and start the brown. This might have made more sense if I had thought to take a picture, but here's a picture from when I finished the brown:














Then I duplicate stitched on eyes and laced on a beak. I know the pattern calls for separately made eyes, but I've been practicing my duplicate stitch, and hey, I'm going to use it wherever possible! (Or at least until it is no longer a novelty).

Here's the finished owl, ready to be mailed off for the now 6 week old baby. I'm a bit late. eep.








I really liked making this. I actually cast on for another one before I finished this one (stitching and ear fluff making is not very portable).

If anyone is reading this, sorry about the poor picture quality. I've been taking pictures on my phone as my camera battery has gone on an unannounced vacation. Seriously, who loses a camera battery? And to be honest, even when my camera is back in commission, it's not like I am going to be able to take great pictures. Here's a blog with great pictures

Oh, and here's the link to the owl pattern, if you want to try to make one for a baby or child you know. There are different owls here and here

(also, I have no idea why there are huge gaps. between the pictures and the words. I choose to blame blogger).

1 comment:

  1. It looks amazing! Your my knitting super hero for whipping that up so quickly without a pattern and with what you had on hand. Yup, you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete